6 Tactics For When A Competing Healthcare Group Opens A New Location In Your Area
Competitive Edge: Enhancing Your Medical Practice in a Crowded Market
Written by: Aaron Michael Buch
If a medical group finds itself facing increased competition in their area, there are several tactics they can take to stay competitive and attract patients. Here are some options to consider:
1. Focus on customer service: One way to differentiate your practice from the competition is to prioritize excellent customer service. This could include things like offering extended hours, responding quickly to patient inquiries, and making the patient experience as smooth and efficient as possible. Most practices put this on autopilot and spend little time building a true plan of action to ensure patient experiences are ideal.
2. Specialize: Consider doing further promotions on being “the specialist within the specialty” for certain areas you enjoy working with or have advanced training on. While it’s obvious to you, that specialization is seldom clear to patients searching for a doctor. For example, if there are several general medical practices in the area, you could focus on sports medicine or pediatrics. Specializing will absolutely help you stand out from the competition and attract patients who are looking for a specific type of care. Patients want “the expert” for their condition, not a doctor who “also sees those conditions”. Consider the difference in perspective of consumer experience when having a high-end foreign car (like a Porsche) servided buy a general local mechanic vs. a certified Porsche dealership who only works on those particular vehicles.
3. Utilize technology: Consider adopting new technologies that can make the patient experience more convenient and efficient. This could include things like telemedicine services, online appointment scheduling, and electronic medical records.
4. Develop a strong online presence: With more and more patients turning to the internet to find healthcare providers, it’s important to have a strong online presence. This includes having a professional website, maintaining a presence on social media, and optimizing your practice’s website for search engines.
5. Partner with other healthcare providers: Consider partnering with other healthcare providers in the area to offer a broader range of services to your patients. This could include physical therapists, chiropractors, or other specialists.
6. Expand your marketing efforts: If you’re facing increased competition, it may be time to ramp up your marketing efforts. This could include things like running targeted ads, attending local events, or partnering with local businesses to reach a larger audience.
By implementing these tactics, an medical group can stay competitive and continue to attract patients even in the face of increased competition. It’s important to regularly evaluate your business strategy and make adjustments as needed to stay ahead of the competition.
Join Power ProvidersHelpful Guides for Physicians & Administrators
Exclusive member-only videos and articles
Helpful content for physicians and administrators alike Sourced from real doctors issues and interests.
Access our full academic research articles and patient case studies.