Six Things All Patients Consider Before Choosing Doctors
Informed Choices: Understanding What Patients Look for in Doctors
Written by: Aaron Michael Buch
When it comes to choosing a doctor, patients have a variety of factors to consider. Here are some key points that patients may take into account when making their decision:
1. Expertise: Patients typically want to choose a doctor who is knowledgeable and experienced in their area of specialty. This can involve looking at a doctor’s education, training, and experience in treating specific conditions or performing certain procedures.
2. Personal connection: Many patients value having a personal connection with their doctor. This can include feeling comfortable communicating with their doctor, feeling heard and understood, and feeling like the doctor takes the time to get to know them.
3. Availability: Patients may consider factors such as the availability of appointments, the convenience of the office location, and the availability of telemedicine options when choosing a doctor.
4. Reputation: Patients may consider a doctor’s reputation within the medical community when choosing a healthcare provider. This can involve looking at factors such as the doctor’s ratings on review sites, the recommendations of friends or family members, or the doctor’s involvement in professional organizations.
5. Insurance coverage: Patients may consider whether a doctor is in-network with their insurance plan when making their decision. This can help them avoid unexpected out-of-pocket costs.
6. Patient satisfaction: Patients may consider the satisfaction of other patients when choosing a doctor. This can involve looking at patient satisfaction scores or reading reviews and testimonials from other patients.
Patients are more informed than ever and have tons of information to sort through when making their decision about which doctor is the best fit for their needs. More often than not, patients will spend the time to do their research and carefully weigh the pros and cons of different doctors before making a final decision. Text messaging is fast and convenient for both businesses and customers.
Join Power ProvidersHelpful Guides for Physicians & Administrators
Exclusive member-only videos and articles
Helpful content for physicians and administrators alike Sourced from real doctors issues and interests.
Access our full academic research articles and patient case studies.